What to Expect
- You find out you’re expecting! Book an appointment with a physician once you know you are pregnant.
- When you first visit the LMC, expect that your appointment will be longer than usual. We will take the time to get to know you, and you will have the chance to share your preferences and any questions or concerns you might have. We will also provide you with important information about what to expect over the next few months.
- Your next appointment will also be slightly longer, as it will include a physical exam. The following appointments will initially occur every 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks, and then weekly—the countdown is on!
Labour and Birth Care
- The Maternity Ward is available by phone at any time of the day or night if you have questions or concerns. An LMC physician is on-call 24/7 for urgent matters.
- When you go into labour and arrive at the hospital, you will be met by a triage nurse who will assess you and then make contact with the on-call LMC physician to develop a care plan. Rest assured that your choices for your birth will be respected.
- You may choose for your partner, family, friends, and/or doula to be at the hospital with you during your labour and birth experience.
- After the birth, you will see an LMC physician every day while you are in the hospital. You will be discharged when you and your baby are doing well, which is typically after 1-2 days for uncomplicated vaginal deliveries, and after 3 days for caesarian sections.
Postpartum and Newborn Care
- You will have a postpartum visit at the LMC within a week of discharge, or sooner, if needed.
- After this visit, we will transfer your care back to your family physician.